What is a QR Codes?
A QR Code is a matrix barcode (or two-dimensional code), readable by QR scanners, mobile phones with camera, and smartphones. The code consists of black modules arranged in a square pattern on white background. The information encoded can be text, URL or other data. QR is the initialism of Quick Response, as the creator intended the code to allow its contents to be decoded at high speed.
How to Scan a QR Code:
Some phones running on the Android platform already have a built-in scanner, but if not download a barcode scanner from the Android Market. If you have an iPhone, you’ll also need to download a barcode scanner from the App Store. If you have a BlackBerry and are using BBM 5.0 or later, you should have a scanner option in your Messenger menu or find one in App World.
Once you have the reader, the steps are usually the same:
1. Open the QR Code reader on your phone.
2. Hold your device over a QR Code so that it’s clearly visible within your smartphone’s screen.
Two things can happen when you correctly hold your smartphone over a QR Code.
1. The phone automatically scans the code.
2. On some readers, you have to press a button to snap a picture, not unlike the button on your smartphone camera.
3. If necessary, press the button.
Presto! Your smartphone reads the code and navigates to the intended destination, which doesn’t happen instantly. It may take a few seconds on most devices.
Look for We Love Lagos QR Codes around Lagos. Simply use your smart phone to scan the codes to find out what’s behind them. You could win some great prizes!